Friday 10 May 2013

Bits and Bows: a fashion designer talks being her own boss and SS13 trends

As summer creeps nearer and nearer, we come out of winter hibernation and fashion suddenly becomes bright again. At some point or another most of those fashion conscious amongst us have had the ever-so-slightly awkward and embarrassing moment seeing someone else wearing that exact same dress you thought no one else could possibly wear. Independent Fashion Designer, Miss ‘Bits and Bows’ Sarah Warner, 27, from Birmingham offers the solution to this; creating one off custom made fashion pieces.




Since becoming a fashion University graduate in 2009, Sarah start selling custom made jewellery and clothes through social networking sites and Ebay. Soon enough, she had built up a large following of customers desperate to get their hands on quirky pendants and made-to-measure dresses to make them stand out from the crowd.
Fast forward four years and Sarah has created her own fashion empire with the likes of Pixie Lott and the Saturdays as fans and has opened her own studio Bits and Bows Boutique in Digbeth's Custard Factory, Birmingham. Customers can make appointment to visit the studio and make orders to their personal preference from a range of fabrics and styles. Sarah has also expanded into menswear and stocks fellow independent concessions including hair products by brand Crown and Glory.


Bits and Bows Headquarters in the Custard Factory, Digbeth


So how hard is it to follow your passion and become your own boss?

“I do struggle sometimes to stay motivated,” said Sarah. “I have to kick myself sometimes and force myself to work rather than go shopping or watch television.”
As a full time mum also, Sarah told me it’s important to find a balance between work and enjoyment to stay focused, “I think to myself 'If I work hard today, I can treat myself tomorrow”. 

Staying organised and focusing on time management is something that Sarah holds as a top priority to make sure everyone stays happy. “My phone and emails are just non-stop, and sometimes people don’t realise your only one person, which can be really overwhelming but time management is key. As long as I’m surrounded by a million notebooks and calendars I can conquer anything.”

Spending half her time at the studio and half working from home she gives herself a break whenever she is on top of jobs, “I could easily work around the clock if my body and brain let me, but I have to force myself to switch off and take a break.”
Bits and Bows create custom made pieces that don’t break the break and rival styles out there on the high-street, with made-to-measure skirts and top starting at around £18. Sarah says to keep up to date, it’s important to constantly be aware of trends and what new looks are coming fresh off the catwalk. “Whilst at University, I did quite a lot of work on trend prediction so I know how to find good prediction sites, and understand new trends.”

Fashion Inspiration...


As a vital part of being a fashion designer, Sarah creates wearable looks for her customers that fit in sync with the current seasons in style looks. “I think it’s important for my brand to be on top form with styles and prints, as even though customers are looking for something new and unique, they also want to be wearing similar styles to what they see in magazines, so I always make sure my fabrics and styles are up to date with catwalks and seasonal trends.”



Personal Style...


As fashion is constantly evolving, it seems it’s just as important to develop a personal style rather than purely wear trends off the catwalk. Preferring to mix up her style from time to time Sarah said as long as she feels good in what she wears, she’ll wear anything, and that's what’s important. “I like bohemian style items; tassels, florals, chunky heels. Yet I'm also a sucker for midi dresses and stilettos. I like to feel comfortable but try out new things. I personally don’t only wear what’s on trend, I just buy or make things that I feel nice in – some items or styles are timeless.”

As a business woman and designer Sarah tells me that to be your own boss, you should always keep in mind that you get out what you put it. “Working hard is important for any budding fashion designers. It won’t be handed to you on a plate. Keep organised and up to date with trends, by reading magazines and doing online research.”



Also knowing your customers and putting them first is a must, “Know your customer. Not everyone is the perfect 10; you need to make things that everyone can feel good in. Whether it’s down to print, fabric or style, there needs to be something that everyone can love.”
No matter what your passion, the rewards soon come if you put in hard work. Sarah tells me the best part of having her own company is being able to network and create items that people will love. “I love networking; meeting new people and promoting the brand, I find because I enjoy it so much, it comes easy to me. It’s all part of it.”

There are plans to expand her fashion empire into children’s wear, launching Baby Bows in the summer which will be a range of dresses and skirts.

Also currently working on summer pieces and bridal season, Sarah tells us her three favourite trends for summer 2013;

1.    Monochrome
Bits and Bows Monochrome Maxi dress 
ASOS monochrome swing dress

“I think anyone and everyone can wear it, and it looks good on every shape or size. I think it’s always a winner and has been my top seller this season.”

2.    Pastels

Pastel Prom dress
Zara Pastel Blazer

“In my eyes these are always a winner and look so pretty on. They have proved very popular recently and plenty of customers have been asking or them.”

3.    Midi

Bits and Bows Midi Skirt
ASOS Midi skirt

“Midi skirts and dresses are so versatile they have become a firm go to. I think because there’s so many ways to wear them they have become a favourite recently and the style is very flattering.”

Find Bits and Bows on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/sarahbits.bowswarner?fref=ts / Twitter @BitsandBows / Website http://www.bitsandbowsboutique.co.uk/

Would you have what it takes to be your own boss? What current trends are you loving right now? Leave a comment below I would love to know!

*All images courtesy of Bits and Bows / Amy from www.amypyt.com / product websites

No comments:

Post a Comment